Before we look at the verses, we need to set this “rule” from Jeremiah 29:11:
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
We need to understand that God has a plan for this season of affliction that besets the American economy and us. He gives us thoughts of peace and hope for the future. His plans gives us a future filled with hope. We cannot look away from Him and rely solely on ourselves.
- “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” -Matthew 6:33
- “Anyone who hears and obeys these teachings of mine is like a wise person who built a house on solid rock. Rain poured down, rivers flooded, and winds beat against that house. But it did not fall, because it was built on solid rock. Anyone who hears my teachings and doesn’t obey them is like a foolish person who built a house on sand.” – Matthew 7:24-27
- “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” – Matthew 7:7-8.
- “Remember the Lord your God is the one who makes you wealthy.” – Deuteronomy 8:18a
- “Don’t promise to pay what someone else owes, and don’t guarantee anyone’s loan. If you cannot pay the loan, your own bed may be taken right out from under you.” – Proverbs 22:26-27
- “Give freely and become more wealthy; be stingy and lose everything.” – Proverbs 11:24
- “In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” – Matthew 7:12
Think about this:
“Give, and you will receive. A large quantity, pressed together, shaken down, and running over will be put into your pocket. The standards you use for others will be applied to you.” – Luke 6:38
I hope these verses resonate with you as you read them. God’s Word is teaching us that we are to put Him first. We are to obey His teachings. We need to have a solid foundation from which to grow. We must seek Him first and He will take care of our needs. He loans us wealth during our lifetime on this Earth. We cannot go and try to get rich on our own. Yes, you can achieve wealth in this Earth without Him. However, your reward in heaven will not exist. He warns not to be cosigners for anyone’s else’s debt. He instructs to be generous with His wealth and not to hoard it. Otherwise, we will lose everything.
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 19-21
We are to treat others as we want to be treated. We cannot ignore the suffering of others because there but for His grace we could go. God is merciful. He wants us to look to Him and He will take care of us.